Re: Minutes of Audio WG Teleconference, 2012-05-30

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 8:57 AM, olivier Thereaux <
olivier.thereaux@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> We started on the basis that a circular graph was OK so long as there was
> a delay (through the presence of a DelayNode - there was also talk of the
> JavaScriptNode filling that role, too). The participants also rapidly
> agreed on the fact that the API would output silence if the delay was
> missing or under a defined minimum. We then talked for the rest of the hour
> about the whether/how/how much of that minimum delay, and agreed on 128
> samples as a reasonable value.
>
> Resolution: it is OK to have a circular graph so long as there is a delay.
> The minimum delay should be 128 samples.

I think 128 samples is a bit unfortunate for authors since they specify the
time in seconds. Couldn't we make this a limit in seconds?

I think this resolution is still well short of fully defining the behavior.
For example, if a cycle has multiple DelayNodes whose delay adds up to the
threshold, does that produce output or not? When the delay does not meet
the threshold, what "outputs silence" --- the whole graph, every node in
the cycle, or possibly just a subset of nodes in the cycle?

A while back, when we discussed using high-latency filters like ducking
without losing A/V sync, Chris (on May 1) suggested an implementation
strategy "to 'prime' the processing pipeline with an amount of audio equal
in duration to the latency", aka "shifting a track forward in time". That's
going to cause additional problems in the presence of cycles. Imagine for
example the following setup: