Re: Audio-ISSUE-95 (ChannelLayouts): Channel Layouts are not sufficiently defined [Web Audio API]

Den 2012-05-21 22:10:10 skrev Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com>:

> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 6:29 AM, olivier Thereaux
> <olivier.thereaux@bbc.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> My understanding of the consensus so far was that:
>>
>> * The API should support and (by default) match the channel
>> configuration specified by the hardware
>>

> I've proposed a way to deal with multi-channel output for
> AudioDestinationNode here:
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/audio/raw-file/tip/webaudio/specification.html#AudioDestinationNode

The maxNumberOfChannels attribute does not seem to be enough (and I'm not
sure that the magic "0" value is a good solution).

For example, consider some hardware that is only capable of stereo output
(unlikely, but equivalent to a fixed channel layout offline context I
guess): The only valid value for numberOfChannels would be 2 (1 would be
"out of range"). As another example, let's assume that some hardware
supports Mono, Stereo and 5.1. What should happen if you set
numberOfChannels to 3?

A simple solution comes to mind:

     sequence<unsigned int> getSupportedChannelCounts(); // Returns a
sequence of valid channel configurations (e.g. [1,2,6]).

/Marcus