Re: Missing information in the Web Audio spec

From: Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 13:32:47 -0700
To: robert@ocallahan.org
Cc: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>, public-audio@w3.org
On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 3:19 AM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>wrote:
>
>> If circular routing is not to be allowed, I quite like the solution in
>> MSP, to consider that graph blocked. To require throwing an error
>> synchronously would require checking for loops on every operation :(
>

> This example:
> var node = (new webkitAudioContext()).createGainNode(); node.connect(node);
> doesn't throw in Chrome dev. Chris, how does Webkit handle cycles?

They are allowed.  It's common in audio processing graphs to have delays
with feedback and they are commonly used in musical audio production.  As a
simple example, consider a delay with a low-pass filter in the feedback
loop which would be something like the beloved "Echoplex" tape delay:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echoplex

Chris