Re: CodecNode

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Young, Milan <Milan.Young@nuance.com>wrote:

> ·       I remember Harold (from WebRTC) complaining that the
> MediaStreamRecorder interfaces was ill defined, and should be removed from
> the spec for the time being.  I don’t remember any follow-ups to the
> discussion, so I assume that idea is on ice for the time being.  Is that a
> fair characterization?

I think we're just waiting for someone to re-propose it with a better
definition.

**·       **I skimmed a document that you authored titled “MediaStream
> Processing API”.  What is the status of this work?  Are the related
> standards groups acting on your recommendations?

This group decided to go ahead with Web Audio instead, so I'm trying to
figure out how to rescue the important bits of MediaStream Processing.

****

> **·       **Between your MediaStream document and WebRTC, there is a lot
> of emphasis on peer communication, and I do not understand this binding.
> There are several use cases for transmitting media directly to the server,
> and it doesn’t make sense that these should be held up in the interest of
> the more complicated peer scenario.  Am I missing something?

That's really a WebRTC question. Actually at Mozilla the #1 priority for
MediaStream right now is not peer communication but using getUserMedia to
capture audio and video streams and take photos. I think we'll need to
resuscitate MediaStreamRecorder very soon, to record video clips in
camera-using applications --- if someone else doesn't get to it first. If
you just want to capture a bundle of video and transmit it to a server in
non-real-time, then that's what you want too I guess.

than others?" [Matthew 5:43-47]