Re: Other comments on Web Audio

From: Raymond Toy <rtoy@google.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 09:27:41 -0700
To: robert@ocallahan.org
Cc: public-audio@w3.org
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

>> AudioBuffer createBuffer(in ArrayBuffer buffer, in boolean mixToMono)
> boolean parameters are generally a bad idea. E.g. reading
> "createBuffer(buffer, false)" the casual reader will have no idea what the
> boolean means. If it's not too late to change this, please change it.

What would you suggest?

> Why isn't numberOfChannels on audioNode?
> What use is numberOfOutputs since you don't actually provide any kind of
> access to the outputs?
> Is there a use for numberOfInputs other than just looping to disconnect
> them all? If not, why not just add a disconnectAll method?

Are you referring to the AudioNode description?  Doesn't the connect method
allow you to specify which of the audio nodes outputs can be connected to
the input of the destination?

> I still think a.connect(b) obscures which of 'a' and 'b' is the
> destination, but I suppose we're stuck with it.

I'm curious to know what you would suggest.  I think it makes some sense if
you read it as a is connected to the input of b.

> In AudioParam, what are 'minValue' and 'maxValue' useful for? I'm unsure
> about 'name' and 'units' too.

I don't think minValue and maxValue are actually used for anything other
than a hint to the user.  I don't think there is any check made if you set
a value outside of these values.  The same goes for name and units.  The
name could be useful if you have a large dynamic list of AudioParams that
you might want to distinguish by name instead.