Re: Audio-ISSUE-12 (Joe Berkovitz): Loop start/stop points [Web Audio API]

Hi Joe,

On 30/04/2012 17:31, Audio Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:
> Audio-ISSUE-12 (Joe Berkovitz): Loop start/stop points [Web Audio API]
>
> http://www.w3.org/2011/audio/track/issues/12
>
> Raised by: Joe Berkovitz
> On product: Web Audio API
>
> Hi folks,
>
> At the F2F in January we discussed the need for a more powerful looping construct in AudioBufferSourceNode than simply "loop the whole sound", in order to support UC6 (wavetable synthesis) and other user cases.

Indeed. The current requirement text specifies:
“A subrange of a source can be played. It should be possible to start
and stop playing a source of audio at any desired offset within the
source. This would then allow the source to be used as an audio sprite”
http://www.w3.org/2011/audio/wiki/Use_Cases_and_Requirements#Playing_.2F_Looping__sources_of_audio

> I am proposing that there be separate loopStart and loopEnd properties of AudioBufferSourceNode that are sample-accurate.  If respectively set to 0 and the length of the sample, these will cause the entire sample to be looped.  If set to offsets M and N, these will cause the sample to be played by noteOn() and noteGrainOn() as if the sample consisted of contiguous subranges [0..M-1], [M..N], [M..N], ...

The properties should probably be optional, with 0 / full length as
default if not specified.

Olivier