Re: MediaSource Extensions & MediaStream Processing API?

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org> wrote:

> I see the abstract of Aaron Colwell's MediaSource Extensions proposal says:
>
>  This proposal extends HTMLMediaElement to allow JavaScript to generate
>  media streams for playback. Allowing JavaScript to generate streams
>  facilitates a variety of use cases like adaptive streaming and time
>  shifting live streams.
>
> http://html5-mediasource-api.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/draft-spec/mediasource-draft-spec.html
>
> It seems like it's intended for some of the same use cases as the
> MediaStream Processing API -
>
>  http://www.w3.org/2011/audio/drafts/1WD/MediaStream/
>
> So maybe this is another area where we should be working together on trying
> to converge on a common proposal?

It's a completely different approach. It gives JS control over what gets
fed into the demuxer/decoder, whereas MediaStream Processing gives you
control over the output.

"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not
in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us
our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not
sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us." [1 John
1:8-10]