webrtc reqs related to the Audio WG

From: Stefan Håkansson <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 09:25:57 +0200
To: public-audio@w3.org
Dear Audio WG (cc webrtc),

in the latest version of the use-cases - and - requirements document
(<http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and-requirements/?include_text=1>)
for webrtc the requirements on audio processing have been changed:

    A13             The Web API MUST provide means for the web
                    application to apply spatialization effects to
                    audio streams.
    A14             The Web API MUST provide means for the web
                    application to detect the level in audio
                    streams.
    A15             The Web API MUST provide means for the web
                    application to adjust the level in audio
                    streams.

    A16             The Web API MUST provide means for the web
                    application to mix audio streams.

The term "audio stream" was selected at an early stage; I would say it
corresponds a "Track" in the MediaStream object that is currently in the
API draft (<http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/webrtc-20111004.html>).

Anyway, feedback on these requirements is welcome (I'm not sure I'm
using good wording).

A14 and A15 are in the use-cases motivated by the need to equalize
levels between audio streams (Tracks) coming from different participants
in a multiparty session.
But I can see other uses of A14: display the level in a meter locally to
calibrate mic settings before a session, detect silence, detect noise
generating party in a multiparty session etc.

As said,
feedback would be appreciated.

Stefan