Re: Adding Web Audio API Spec to W3C Repository

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011, Chris Rogers wrote:

> Ok, but still I think it's a bit unfair to use this lack of multivendor
> test suites for "all Web technologies" as a reason not to have an audio
> API, especially since we're actively working on audio test suites.

It's not just a reason to not have an Audio API. It's a reason to
generally reduce the rate of new features overall. (It's one of several
reasons why the rate of new features being added to HTML is quite low at
the moment, despite the demand for new features being higher than ever.)

> As for implementation quality, what more could be done?

Again, this is about the platform as a whole, not audio in particular. We
need more test suites, mainly. For example, for the appcache. Or for
<audio> and <video>. Or for media controllers. Or for XHR. Or...

> But guess what?  We're working on audio APIs here!

We're working on the entire Web platform here. Audio APIs are just one
small part of the whole picture. All I am saying is it's not clear that
audio APIs are what I would put at the top of the whole platform's
priority list. Luckily for anyone who wants to work on audio APIs, there's
nothing anyone can do to stop you. :-)