Re: Adding Web Audio API Spec to W3C Repository

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 09:46:33 +1200
To: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Cc: public-audio@w3.org
We (Mozilla) definitely plan to put forward a new spec that builds on the
HTML Streams proposal. I would like to make more progress on the
implementation before we do that, but if you think otherwise, we can go
forward.

I believe the concerns I raised about synchronization and the relationship
with the Streams proposal that I raised in the earlier thread are still
valid, but that thread was a tennis match between me and Chris and I'd like
to hear from W3C people and other parties (especially HTML and Streams
people) how they feel about those concerns.

As a veteran of decade-long efforts to resolve conflicts between specs that
never should have happened in the first place (SVG, CSS and HTML, I'm
looking at you), I think it's worth taking time to make sure we don't have
another Conway's law failure. The immediate demand for audio API will have
to be (and is being) satisfied by libraries that abstract over browser
differences, and that will remain true for quite some time no matter what
the WG does.