FFT & IFFT with Web Audio API

From: Michael Weitnauer <weitnauer@irt.de>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 16:34:20 +0100
To: public-audio-dev@w3.org
Hi all,

I wonder whether there is (or maybe will be) the possibility to conduct a FFT and an IFFT with the Web Audio API. As far as I understood from the Working Draft, it's somehow possible to get some frequency domain data via the getFloatFrequencyData() method of the AnalyserNode. But it's not clear to me, which kind of data I would receive from this method. The Working Draft is - at least to me - not clear in this point. By using a WaveTableNode, it might be possible to conduct an IFFT, but this feature seems to be limited for the usage along with an OscillatorNode.

My intention is to conduct some signal processing (in real-time) with the Web Audio API and for that I need buffers with complex values in the frequency domain.

I would love to read some answers. Thanks anyway for you help,
Michael

Michael Weitnauer
Production Systems Audio

Institut fuer Rundfunktechnik GmbH (IRT)
R&D Institute of ARD, ZDF, DRadio, ORF and SRG/SSR
Floriansmuehlstr. 60, D-80939 Muenchen, Germany

Email: weitnauer@irt.de
Web: http://www.irt.de
Phone: +49 89 32399-387

Managing director:  Dr. Klaus Illgner-Fehns
Registration court:  Munich Commercial, Register No. B 5191