Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 12:00:54 -0700
From: crogers@google.com
To: me@jory.org
CC: public-audio-dev@w3.org
Subject: Re: Multi-channel hardware support available for testing in Chrome Canary

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Jory <me@jory.org> wrote:

Ah, so it was the panner that was messing with me. Are plans to make the panner into a steerable multichannel one? I'm sure I won't be the only audio developer to get thrown by this, as I'd have expected it behave quite differently. I guess for the moment, custom panning code has to be written to handle surround steering.

It's certainly possible to consider extending the PannerNode, but for now it's stereo, so yes you'll need to matrix the channels yourself, and there are many interesting ways to do it.

By the way, another way to output multiple channels very simply is to create your own AudioBuffer manually (not decode an existing audio file) having say 4 channels.  Put some interesting data into the AudioBuffer and play it back.  Or another simple way is to create a ScriptProcessorNode with say 4 output channels and render whatever you want there.  These would not require a ChannelMergerNode.

Chris

I'll give your suggestions a try in a bit.

Thanks!

Jory

me@jory.org
http://studio.jory.org