Re: Assistant Performer

Ah, I see.  Real-time messages are supported - they're quite important for
sequencer synchronization.  They cannot be received in the middle of ANY
messages - only in the middle of system-exclusive messages.  (You would not
interrupt a 3-byte note-on message with a real-time message; you'd wait and
send it after, since you'd only cause a half-millisecond or so of jitter.
 Sys-ex messages, though, can be quite long, so you need to be able to send
real-time during that time span.)

I'll add a comment; I would expect, actually, that a real-time message
occurring in the middle of a sysex message would be dispatched immediately
via message event, while the system message would be buffered until it is
complete (although the timestamp would be the beginning of the message,
allowing you to recreate the ordering).

So:
a) yes, Web MIDI supports real-time messages.
b) In Web MIDI applications, real-time messages may be received while
another (sys-ex) message is being received and buffered by the system, but
real-time message data would not be interleaved in other message data; they
are dispatched as separate messages.

-C