Re: properties for exposing custom Braille descriptions

I know ARIA does not, as a matter of working group decision, prescribe interpretation by assistive technology. Would it nevertheless be possible to set an expectation in this proposal that characters within the Unicode braille block (0x2800-28ff) should be supported, and should be presented on the braille device?  For other characters, translation to braille would of course be implementation-dependent.

From: Peter Krautzberger <peter@krautzource.com>
Date: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 16:57
To: "public-aria@w3.org" <public-aria@w3.org>
Subject: properties for exposing custom Braille descriptions

Hi everyone,

As tasked in a previous meeting, I've written up a very rough first draft on the ARIA GitHub wiki at [1]. I've mainly copied and modified aria-label and aria-role-description. The draft includes several questions at the end.

As I mentioned on the call, NVDA had done an experimental implementation of such properties at a workshop in 2018 and Orca appears interested as well.

Thanks to Joanie and Sina for their help so far.

Best,
Peter.

[1] https://github.com/w3c/aria/wiki/*-braille-properties-for-exposing-custom-Braille-descriptions<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fw3c%2Faria%2Fwiki%2F*-braille-properties-for-exposing-custom-Braille-descriptions&data=02%7C01%7Cjjwhite%40ets.org%7Cf589994066ab4cb61b9f08d68c7e1fb9%7C0ba6e9b760b34fae92f37e6ddd9e9b65%7C0%7C0%7C636850870663897551&sdata=CJ0XUU8wModl%2BO4mRc3JThfEVS7uQiKF%2Bg6ovC9FlFo%3D&reserved=0>

Thank you for your compliance.