Re: Proposed two new roles to support the description list elements in HTML5

For listitemdescription to match requirements for <dd> in HTML, should the listitemdescription role mention that not only must it be a child of a list, but that it should be preceded by at least one listitemterm in the list?

From: "Gunderson, Jon R" <jongund@illinois.edu>
Date: Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 2:56 PM
To: ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
Subject: Proposed two new roles to support the description list elements in HTML5

I have proposed two new roles in the context of the list role to support the DT and DD elements in HTML5 for role parity:

listitemdescription role:

https://raw.githack.com/w3c/aria/issue504-description-list-roles/index.html#listitemdescription

listitemterm role:

https://raw.githack.com/w3c/aria/issue504-description-list-roles/index.html#listitemterm

Updated the list role definition to include the two new roles:

https://raw.githack.com/w3c/aria/issue504-description-list-roles/index.html#list

Question

Do we need to support the group role with listiemdescription and listitemterm?

NOTE: This proposal follows a similar pattern as extending menuitem with the  menuitemcheckbox and menuitemradio roles.

Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., CPWA

Coordinator of Accessible IT Group

1207 S. Oak Street

Champaign, IL 61820