Re: REVIEW REQUEST, AGENDA: aria-label-braille and aria-roledescription-braille

Hi Joanie, ARIA WG,

As a lurker in this group, I have a small concern about introducing a new
"pattern" into the aria lexicon - specifically "double-hyphenated"
attributes (i.e. aria-label-braille and aria-roledescription-braille). A
quick check of the existing ARIA attributes
<https://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-1.1/#state_prop_def>, and this will be the
first time that this WG would be introducing that pattern, and so more than
anything else - why?

Previously, even "multi-name" attributes have all been concatenated into
one string (ref: Position In Set = aria-posinset
<https://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-1.1/#aria-posinset>), and I would strongly
encourage the ARIA WG to maintain that pattern (aria-labelbraille,
aria-roledescriptionbraille) if these new attributes are to move forward.

There is a dotted-line connection here to similar work in the
Personalization TF, where we are developing some new (proposed) attributes,
and I have pushed back somewhat on a similar pattern there. The back-story
is that at the last TPAC, the Personalization TF met with WebPlat WG (as
we'd *really* like to have fully-fledged "HTML5" attributes, rather than
"specialty" attributes - i.e. coga-*), and we were cautioned to avoid
anything that looked like a micro-syntax (which these two new aria
attributes sorta look like). The Personalization TF is currently working
with data-* (again based upon the recommendation of Web Plat), and
specifically I've pushed back on proposed attributes such as
data-purpose-symbol with (I hope) some success. As such, I personally
believe that we should maintain some consistency across the various WAI
activities here.

At any rate, not a hill to die on, but if the WG could consider this as
some constructive feedback I'd appreciate it.

JF

--
*​John Foliot* | Principal Accessibility Strategist | W3C AC Representative
Deque Systems - Accessibility for Good