From: Joanmarie Diggs <jdiggs@igalia.com>
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2018 11:17 AM
To: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@levelaccess.com>
Cc: Carolyn MacLeod <Carolyn_MacLeod@ca.ibm.com>; nurthen@adobe.com; public-aria@w3.org
Subject: Re: AccName test expectations bug + prototype bug?

Thanks for the detailed reply! Given that we need to fix issues which are blocking us from exiting CR, which includes the issue at hand, I could use an executive summary and specific conclusion. In particular:

1. Given the language currently in AccName, what should the expected
   results be?

2. Is the language in the current spec sufficiently clear that
   implementors should reach that same conclusion?

As for everything else you say, if you have some spare cycles to file new issues (e.g. on the CSS generated content) that would be great.

Thanks again!
--joanie

On 9/28/18 1:50 PM, Bryan Garaventa wrote:
> Rather than comment on github yet, I'll reply here since this will probably open up a debate.
>
> One problem has to do with the assumption that CSS rendered text is the same thing as "text from content" in accordance with the spec, and the spec does not actually state this, it only says if present, prepend and append this if found to what the algorithm already states.
>
> So according to the spec, CSS rendered content is not 'text from content', so it doesn't qualify as being a valid name in the calculation besides adding it to what the computation already returns without it being there at all.
>
> So the first question is, should CSS content be considered the same as 'text from content'? If yes, this will change lots of things everywhere.
>
> If no, we can remove the CSS content from this example just for the sake of this discussion, and then all we are left with is the title on the label or the title on the input, and the question then is, which one is considered to be the valid name?
>
> As you recall last week, you asked me to fix the bug where the title attribute was incorrectly being set on child nodes that are being parsed from the root node, which in this case is the outer label element, as referenced by aria-labelledby.
>
> According to the spec then, where label is the root node, since there is no aria-label, nor 'text from content' (because CSS content doesn't apply), nor is there a valid value property for an embedded form field, the next attribute on the list to check is the title, which is set on the root node (also the current node), so this is what gets returned as the name.
>
> So, since the original input is not the root node, nor does it qualify as an embedded element with a name such as a form field with a value, it's title attribute never comes into play.
>
> Even if CSS content were changed to be considered 'text from content', this still wouldn't change the issue, because the title attribute on the embedded element would still be ignored because only the value property is valid on embedded form fields as children of the root node.
>
> If you want me to fix it where the title on embedded elements is returned as an accessible name though, be aware this will change everywhere, not just here.
>

> Bryan Garaventa
> Accessibility Fellow
> Level Access, Inc.
> Bryan.Garaventa@LevelAccess.com