W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-aria@w3.org > May 2018

Meeting minutes for Thursday 31 May, 2018 - ARIA Working Group

From: Ku, Jaeun <jku@illinois.edu>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 20:33:52 +0000
To: James Nurthen <nurthen@adobe.com>, ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
Message-ID: <A1FEDB5F-7E58-4EBB-938F-A7A77971AD58@illinois.edu>
Meeting minutes from ARIA WG meeting
https://www.w3.org/2018/05/31-aria-minutes.html

JaEun Jemma Ku
-----------------------------
- DRAFT -
Accessible Rich Internet Applications Working Group Teleconference
31 May 2018
Attendees
Present
BryanGaraventa, Joanmarie_Diggs, MichaelC, jamesn, janina, jemma_, jongund, melanierichards
Regrets
Stefan
Chair
JamesNurthen
Scribe
jemma
Contents

  *   Topics<https://www.w3.org/2018/05/31-aria-minutes.html#agenda>
     *   Publications Update<https://www.w3.org/2018/05/31-aria-minutes.html#item01>
     *   Issue 772<https://www.w3.org/2018/05/31-aria-minutes.html#item02>
     *   Role Parity PR<https://www.w3.org/2018/05/31-aria-minutes.html#item03>
     *   Publications Update<https://www.w3.org/2018/05/31-aria-minutes.html#item04>
     *   The New Workflow Workflow<https://www.w3.org/2018/05/31-aria-minutes.html#item05>
     *   HTML 5.3 Response to Web Platform<https://www.w3.org/2018/05/31-aria-minutes.html#item06>
  *   Summary of Action Items<https://www.w3.org/2018/05/31-aria-minutes.html#ActionSummary>
  *   Summary of Resolutions<https://www.w3.org/2018/05/31-aria-minutes.html#ResolutionSummary>

________________________________

present=

<scribe> scribe:jemma

Publications Update

mc: two publication is ready

.AccName * Graphics ARIA + AAM
.: AccName * Graphics ARIA + AAM

joanie

joanie: I would like to consider Brian's feedback

. regarding "otherwise"

<jamesn> https://github.com/w3c/accname/issues/5


bg: I can work on it tomorrow or so

joanni: I can take the PR then

. I think we are on agreement about taking care of this "otherwise" info

mk: we can do add some bandaid and do more on next version

joanie: that is what I suggested

<Zakim> joanie, you wanted to ask about the "otherwise"

Issue 772

mc: I can do publication after next Tuesday

<jamesn> https://github.com/w3c/aria/pull/511


jn: Clarify that owned-by author rules need explicit role attributes

<jamesn> linked validator issue - https://github.com/validator/validator/issues/425#issuecomment-269841829


mk: It is relevant to linked validator issue. I kind of agree with the idea.

jn: I hear Matt you are not agreeing with this.

mk: yes
... I am not sure whether i follow "implied requirement for host languages" argument.

mc: me either
... it is implementation question to the validator

mk: example will be ul, li with div role list item? or is this problem unique to table and grid?

jn: we may need to make it clear, what validator can do with the case of implicit role and explicit role mix

bg: I think it is grid specific

. collision between implicit role and explicit role

mk: grid may be the unique case

bg: I think so

mk: there is no implied item for tree widget
... fix can be..
... aria in html rule, you cannot put list role in li tag

jn: matt, can you own this issue and work on it?

mk: it is 1.2 issue
... ok I will take care of the issue

Role Parity PR

<joanie> https://github.com/w3c/aria/pull/761


<joanie> https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/w3c/aria/pull/761.html


<joanie> https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/w3c/aria/pull/761.html#paragraph


joanie: this was done during face to face aria meeting

<joanie> https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/w3c/aria/pull/761.html#blockquote


.took Jon Gunderson's suggestion

<joanie> https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/w3c/aria/pull/761.html#caption


<joanie> Authors SHOULD reference the element with role caption by setting aria-describedby on the figure or table.

<joanie> On-screen descriptive text for a figure or table in the page.

. we can merge these now if you all are fine with these three.
.merge to the master to move on with testing and more.

joanie: leaved out header and footer

jg: what about p?

jm: img was only exception

mk: Do we want to add more info about "blockquote"?

jm: I am fine with adding "section"

in blockquote

jm: blockquote is the "section of content quoted from other content"
... this will be the only change.

Publications Update
The New Workflow Workflow

jn: editor's draft vs working draft

<jamesn> Features which are "ready" (as defined above) should be cherry-picked from the "master" branch to the "stable" branch in each of the relevant repositories (e.g. ARIA, Accessibility API Mappings, and Authoring Practices). The "stable" branch serves as the source for publishing Working Draft revisions.

jn: any questions on the new workflow?

mk: I have a question about role parity

joanie: I can file the issue for core aam regarding role parity issue.

HTML 5.3 Response to Web Platform

<jamesn> https://www.irccloud.com/pastebin/2CQyd8XL/


jn: here is the draft
... let me know what you think

<jamesn> Thank you for the opportunity to review the changes made to the HTML 5.3 Specification. Due to circumstances the ARIA working group has not been able to review in detail the changes in HTML5.3 made in response to PR 1133 - https://github.com/w3c/html/pull/1133


<jamesn> However, the ARIA working group applauds the effort to make the HTML 5.3 specification consistent with the HTML in ARIA specification.

<jamesn> While there are some places where some working group members do not agree with individual restrictions being placed by the ARIA in HTML specification, these will be raised as individual issues against the ARIA in HTML specification. However, the ARIA WG does not plan to submit formal comments on either spec as a group at this time, and is ok with the documents proceeding through any upcoming transitions.

pull 1133 is "Fix discrepancies between HTML and ARIA in HTML specs"

janina: we can suggest adding section about some more info like individual issue follow up..

<jamesn> While there are some places where some working group members do not agree with individual restrictions being placed by the specifications, these will be raised as individual issues against the specifications going forward. However, the ARIA WG does not plan to submit formal comments on either spec as a group at this time, and is ok with the documents proceeding through any upcoming transitions.

jn: is that ok?

janina: yes

jemma: yes


From: James Nurthen <nurthen@adobe.com>
Date: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 7:49 PM
To: ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
Subject: Agenda for Thursday 31 May, 2018 - ARIA Working Group
Resent-From: <public-aria@w3.org>
Resent-Date: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 7:48 PM


Meeting:   WAI-ARIA Working Group – 31 May 2018

Time:      10:00 AM US Pacific, 1:00 PM US Eastern

Duration:  1 hour

Webex:     https://www.w3.org/2017/08/telecon-info_aria<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F2017%2F08%2Ftelecon-info_aria&data=02%7C01%7Ciali%40ets.org%7C65626730866f40bcebd508d5bafef263%7C0ba6e9b760b34fae92f37e6ddd9e9b65%7C0%7C0%7C636620526509161365&sdata=wr5t2kJnN35YvJSbNtWEMpDjpp6oGtusrZfWUlQYEfU%3D&reserved=0>

IRC:       irc.w3.org, port: 6665, channel: #aria



Agenda:

1. Publications

        * AccName

        * Graphics ARIA + AAM

2. Issue 772 - https://github.com/w3c/aria/issues/772


    And associated PR https://github.com/w3c/aria/pull/511


3. Role Parity PR - https://github.com/w3c/aria/pull/761


4. The New Workflow Workflow

5. HTML 5.3 Response to Web Platform.

6. Charter Update



Time:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=WAI-ARIA+Working+Group+Meeting&iso=20180531T13&p1=43&ah=1




Decision Policy: https://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/decision-policy<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FWAI%2FARIA%2Fdecision-policy&data=02%7C01%7Ciali%40ets.org%7C65626730866f40bcebd508d5bafef263%7C0ba6e9b760b34fae92f37e6ddd9e9b65%7C0%7C0%7C636620526509161365&sdata=%2F%2BsoEzVvwN6VDOEGbzD6rOYauljBM6BO3NIAc2lSHps%3D&reserved=0>



Minutes Last Meeting: https://www.w3.org/2018/05/24-aria-minutes.html






Received on Thursday, 31 May 2018 20:34:26 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Thursday, 31 May 2018 20:34:26 UTC