Meeting Minutes: Thursday 24 May, 2018 - ARIA Working Group

Here the meeting minutes from today’s ARIA meeting
https://www.w3.org/2018/05/24-aria-minutes.html

Thanks,

Jemma

Accessible Rich Internet Applications Working Group Teleconference
Attendees
Present
Irfan_Ali, jamesn, jemma, janina, melanierichards, jongund, matt-king
Regrets
tzviya
Chair
SV_MEETING_CHAIR
Scribe
jemma
Contents

  *   Topics<https://www.w3.org/2018/05/24-aria-minutes.html#agenda>
1.   TPAC 2018 update (1 min)<https://www.w3.org/2018/05/24-aria-minutes.html#item01>
2.   IDL Reflections branch update (1 min)<https://www.w3.org/2018/05/24-aria-minutes.html#item02>
3.   Annotations<https://www.w3.org/2018/05/24-aria-minutes.html#item03>
4.   Open PRs<https://www.w3.org/2018/05/24-aria-minutes.html#item04>

  *   Summary of Action Items<https://www.w3.org/2018/05/24-aria-minutes.html#ActionSummary>
  *   Summary of Resolutions<https://www.w3.org/2018/05/24-aria-minutes.html#ResolutionSummary>

________________________________

scribe+ Jemma

TPAC 2018 update (1 min)

<jamesn> scribe: jemma

thrusday and friday will be the meeting dates for the group.

IDL Reflections branch update (1 min)

any comments for IDL?

matt: should we have at least one APG example?

james: not sure yet. but we will have some code to test.
... browsers still use old codes

jamesn: it is different procedure, so it is hard to gauge example this time.

matt: may we need to revisit the decision?

jamesn: we had a merge decision but we can talk next week as an agenda item

Annotations

aaron: summary of last week's meeting

<jamesn> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-aria/2018May/0061.html

<jamesn> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-aria/2018May/0056.html

aaron: user needs to know aria detail and role relationship with this suggestion
... Use aria-details + optional aria-detailstype on the same element with one > of the following values: > > assessing, classifying, commenting, describing (default), editing, > highlighting, identifying, linking, moderating, questioning, replying, > tagging
... explain specific use cases

with proposal

<jamesn> latest proposal is here https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-aria/2018May/att-0062/aria-detailstype.html

aaron: we can create new value for motivations for example

mealanie: wondering whether there is a way that we can collect all the use cases in one place, excel sheet

aaron: use cases I am suggesting are basically similar to MS except a few things

melanie: I have some questions about a few specifics

aaron: additional info can be span of content

<timCole> http://w3c.github.io/dpub-annotation/

tim: this has some use cases
... ie. motivation is high level of spec, which can be started from

arron: my concern is that we would not be able to figure out all the semantic details.
... people may be expect that every detail will be mapped out - no flexibility

melanie: rather than each detailed use case, call for (general)use case will be needed?

matt: ie. aria detail goes on figure and points to the element which detained description
... s/detained/detailed
... token value can be different, in other words, I have concern about DOM, language of token

<janina> +1 to Matt. I'm wondering whether we need grammatical gerunds, e.g. "commenting" as opposed to "comment"

aaron: I am not sure whether I can suggest all the details to the screen readers but I would like to put emphasis on semantics.

matt: I hear you

james: re: browser display

jame: another issue is current aria1.2 scope, focus on 'role parity'

s/arial/aria

matt: wonder the screen users' navigation capability - what if the screen reader users cannot go back nor keyboard functionality.

aaron: that will be up to author, who ensures graceful degradation
... I hope annotation and detail can be inline so everything can reviewed at once.

matt: if we add this to aria 1.2, APG group want support to implement this.

aaron: I can support and help creating the example

in ARIA APG

jongund: aria details in on AAM,

<jamesn> https://github.com/w3c/aria/issues/458

aria detail property does not have any mapping in accessibility API

jongund: aria detail property does not have any mapping in accessibility API

jamesn: this is the decision, https://github.com/w3c/aria/issues/458

matt: does this create the link between the spec(dependency)?
... I would rather have to token, like "has-comment" rather than using nouns, comment or commenting

mealnie: I agree with Matt.

after I talked to web group

jongund: if there is another thing in spec, aria described why we create new one?

aaron: ie. breakpoint, aria details can have either one or both

with condition and without

james: it does not sound right.

matt: I agree with james

aaron: do you like details type as name?

matt: I like it

james: I am good with that

jongund: ok with me

aaron: can any one help with use case?

mealanie: I can help

jamesn: please copy the content to the list

timcole: I can also help with use case

Open PRs

<jamesn> https://github.com/w3c/aria/pull/766

<jamesn> https://github.com/w3c/aria/commit/281b54fe6b12d762064abb1976eb0f32523c7ef0

jamesn: it is editorial issue. I need confirmation on that

matt: I agree

jamesn: if the group is ok, I will modify

james: please leave comment if you have suggestion

Summary of Action Items
Summary of Resolutions