W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-aria@w3.org > May 2018

Meeting Minutes: Thursday 24 May, 2018 - ARIA Working Group

From: Ku, Jaeun <jku@illinois.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 18:09:40 +0000
To: James Nurthen <nurthen@adobe.com>, ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
Message-ID: <ACF35B439B891E408A70DF1C1D1D0F1B39809331@CITESMBX6.ad.uillinois.edu>
Here the meeting minutes from today’s ARIA meeting
https://www.w3.org/2018/05/24-aria-minutes.html

Thanks,

Jemma

Accessible Rich Internet Applications Working Group Teleconference
24 May 2018
Attendees
Present
Irfan_Ali, jamesn, jemma, janina, melanierichards, jongund, matt-king
Regrets
tzviya
Chair
SV_MEETING_CHAIR
Scribe
jemma
Contents

  *   Topics<https://www.w3.org/2018/05/24-aria-minutes.html#agenda>
1.   TPAC 2018 update (1 min)<https://www.w3.org/2018/05/24-aria-minutes.html#item01>
2.   IDL Reflections branch update (1 min)<https://www.w3.org/2018/05/24-aria-minutes.html#item02>
3.   Annotations<https://www.w3.org/2018/05/24-aria-minutes.html#item03>
4.   Open PRs<https://www.w3.org/2018/05/24-aria-minutes.html#item04>

  *   Summary of Action Items<https://www.w3.org/2018/05/24-aria-minutes.html#ActionSummary>
  *   Summary of Resolutions<https://www.w3.org/2018/05/24-aria-minutes.html#ResolutionSummary>

________________________________

scribe+ Jemma

TPAC 2018 update (1 min)

<jamesn> scribe: jemma

thrusday and friday will be the meeting dates for the group.

IDL Reflections branch update (1 min)

any comments for IDL?

matt: should we have at least one APG example?

james: not sure yet. but we will have some code to test.
... browsers still use old codes

jamesn: it is different procedure, so it is hard to gauge example this time.

matt: may we need to revisit the decision?

jamesn: we had a merge decision but we can talk next week as an agenda item

Annotations

aaron: summary of last week's meeting

<jamesn> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-aria/2018May/0061.html


<jamesn> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-aria/2018May/0056.html


aaron: user needs to know aria detail and role relationship with this suggestion
... Use aria-details + optional aria-detailstype on the same element with one > of the following values: > > assessing, classifying, commenting, describing (default), editing, > highlighting, identifying, linking, moderating, questioning, replying, > tagging
... explain specific use cases

with proposal

<jamesn> latest proposal is here https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-aria/2018May/att-0062/aria-detailstype.html


aaron: we can create new value for motivations for example

mealanie: wondering whether there is a way that we can collect all the use cases in one place, excel sheet

aaron: use cases I am suggesting are basically similar to MS except a few things

melanie: I have some questions about a few specifics

aaron: additional info can be span of content

<timCole> http://w3c.github.io/dpub-annotation/


tim: this has some use cases
... ie. motivation is high level of spec, which can be started from

arron: my concern is that we would not be able to figure out all the semantic details.
... people may be expect that every detail will be mapped out - no flexibility

melanie: rather than each detailed use case, call for (general)use case will be needed?

matt: ie. aria detail goes on figure and points to the element which detained description
... s/detained/detailed
... token value can be different, in other words, I have concern about DOM, language of token

<janina> +1 to Matt. I'm wondering whether we need grammatical gerunds, e.g. "commenting" as opposed to "comment"

aaron: I am not sure whether I can suggest all the details to the screen readers but I would like to put emphasis on semantics.

matt: I hear you

james: re: browser display

jame: another issue is current aria1.2 scope, focus on 'role parity'

s/arial/aria

matt: wonder the screen users' navigation capability - what if the screen reader users cannot go back nor keyboard functionality.

aaron: that will be up to author, who ensures graceful degradation
... I hope annotation and detail can be inline so everything can reviewed at once.

matt: if we add this to aria 1.2, APG group want support to implement this.

aaron: I can support and help creating the example

in ARIA APG

jongund: aria details in on AAM,

<jamesn> https://github.com/w3c/aria/issues/458


aria detail property does not have any mapping in accessibility API

jongund: aria detail property does not have any mapping in accessibility API

jamesn: this is the decision, https://github.com/w3c/aria/issues/458


matt: does this create the link between the spec(dependency)?
... I would rather have to token, like "has-comment" rather than using nouns, comment or commenting

mealnie: I agree with Matt.

after I talked to web group

jongund: if there is another thing in spec, aria described why we create new one?

aaron: ie. breakpoint, aria details can have either one or both

with condition and without

james: it does not sound right.

matt: I agree with james

aaron: do you like details type as name?

matt: I like it

james: I am good with that

jongund: ok with me

aaron: can any one help with use case?

mealanie: I can help

jamesn: please copy the content to the list

timcole: I can also help with use case

Open PRs

<jamesn> https://github.com/w3c/aria/pull/766


<jamesn> https://github.com/w3c/aria/commit/281b54fe6b12d762064abb1976eb0f32523c7ef0


jamesn: it is editorial issue. I need confirmation on that

matt: I agree

jamesn: if the group is ok, I will modify

james: please leave comment if you have suggestion

Summary of Action Items
Summary of Resolutions


From: James Nurthen <nurthen@adobe.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 6:42 PM
To: ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
Subject: Agenda for Thursday 24 May, 2018 - ARIA Working Group


Meeting:   WAI-ARIA Working Group – 24 May 2018

Time:      10:00 AM US Pacific, 1:00 PM US Eastern

Duration:  1 hour

Webex:     https://www.w3.org/2017/08/telecon-info_aria<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F2017%2F08%2Ftelecon-info_aria&data=02%7C01%7Ciali%40ets.org%7C65626730866f40bcebd508d5bafef263%7C0ba6e9b760b34fae92f37e6ddd9e9b65%7C0%7C0%7C636620526509161365&sdata=wr5t2kJnN35YvJSbNtWEMpDjpp6oGtusrZfWUlQYEfU%3D&reserved=0>

IRC:       irc.w3.org, port: 6665, channel: #aria



Agenda:

1. TPAC 2018 update (1 min)

2. IDL Reflections branch update (1 min)

3. Annotations (20 min)

    * https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-aria/2018May/0062.html


4. Open PRs (20 min)

    * https://github.com/w3c/aria/pull/766


    * https://github.com/w3c/aria/pull/761


    * https://github.com/w3c/aria/pull/511


5. Issues with no milestone triage

    * https://github.com/w3c/aria/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+no%3Amilestone+sort%3Acreated-asc




Time:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=WAI-ARIA+Working+Group+Meeting&iso=20180524T13&p1=43&ah=1




Decision Policy: https://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/decision-policy<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FWAI%2FARIA%2Fdecision-policy&data=02%7C01%7Ciali%40ets.org%7C65626730866f40bcebd508d5bafef263%7C0ba6e9b760b34fae92f37e6ddd9e9b65%7C0%7C0%7C636620526509161365&sdata=%2F%2BsoEzVvwN6VDOEGbzD6rOYauljBM6BO3NIAc2lSHps%3D&reserved=0>



Minutes Last Meeting: https://www.w3.org/2018/05/17-aria-minutes.html



Received on Thursday, 24 May 2018 18:10:14 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Thursday, 24 May 2018 18:10:15 UTC