Re: Request from APA-WG re ARIA in HTML Spec

>I don't recommend entering CR until these issues are addressed, because
there are currently many roles that are missing from the >accepted role
usage column, and if they are omitted then HTML validators will start
flagging valid constructs with false reports as >being invalid usages of
ARIA.

as I stated on the bug Bryan filed
<https://github.com/w3c/html-aria/issues/102#issuecomment-373287694>

   - The default implicit column mappings are defined in the HTML AAM
   <https://w3c.github.io/html-aam/>, if you have issue with these you will
   need to file issues there.
   - it is not simply enough to state that "the accepted
   roles/states/properties column is missing". As a host language HTML can and
   does limit the allowed roles on elements with meaningful default semantics.
   If it is requested that a particular role be allowed, then a case needs to
   be made for why.

Furthermore,

and if they are omitted then HTML validators will start flagging valid
> constructs with false reports as being invalid usages of ARIA.

What is in the current ARIA in HTML spec is what is implemented in the HTML
validator. The rules have been implemented in the HTML validator in some
form or other since 2010 as they were defined in HTML5.
<https://www.w3.org/TR/2014/REC-html5-20141028/dom.html#sec-strong-native-semantics>
If you review those rules it will be evident that in most cases they are
less stringent now than they were when initially defined. The relaxation of
the rules has been, in general on a case by case basis, based on use cases.

--

Regards

SteveF
Current Standards Work @W3C