Re: Minutes for Thursday, 8 March 2018 WAI-ARIA Working Group

Thanks for discussing further review of the ARIA in HTML and HTML AAM
specs, in the meeting yesterday.

When we asked ARIA WG to review ARIA in HTML last year, it was decided
that APA WG's review would be done on behalf of both WGs. This was only
documented on the APA WG wiki [1], and informally on the ARIA WG email
list [2], which is why the current request has been made.

We responded to the subsequent issues filed by Michiel on behalf of APA,
and also to issues filed individually by Bryan, James, and Rich. Changes
to the spec since that point have been mostly editorial. The bulk of the
ARIA 1.1 changes had already been made by the time we went for wide
review, because we were hoping ARIA 1.1 would be in CR in time to let us
take ARIA in HTML to Rec at the same time as HTML5.2. It didn't turn out
that way of course.

Based on comments from the meeting, there seems to be some confusion as
to what ARIA in HTML is.

ARIA in HTML  does not define roles (that is done in the ARIA spec). Nor
does it document accessibility API mappings (that is done in the HTML AAM).

ARIA in HTML describes a set of authoring rules for using ARIA when HTML
is the host language. The host language is where the rules for using
ARIA in that context are defined. The content of this specification was
originally part of the HTML5.0 specification, but was pulled out into
its own module before HTML5.1 was released. This was done because the
WebPlat WG was considering modularising much of the HTML spec at that time.

Steve Faulkner, as editor of ARIA in HTML, works closely with Mike
Smith, as the person responsible for the W3C validator. The validator is
the definitive implementation of this spec, flagging up errors and
warnings when authors mis-use ARIA within an HTML document.

  With regard to the HTML AAM, we're hoping to put it out for wide
review within the next few weeks. As with ARIA in HTML, we'll send a
specific request through to both APA WG and ARIA WG when we get to that
point.

In the meantime, if it would help for either me, as WebPlat co-chair, or
Steve, as ARIA in HTML/HTML AAM editor, to attend an ARIA WG meeting,
please just ask.

HTH
Léonie

[1] https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/ARIA_in_HTML