From: Tobias Bengfort [mailto:tobias.bengfort@posteo.de]
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2018 7:47 AM
To: John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com>; Schnabel, Stefan <stefan.schnabel@sap.com>
Cc: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@levelaccess.com>; jcraig@apple.com; Matthew King <mck@fb.com>; ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>; Aaron Leventhal <aleventhal@google.com>; Alexander Surkov <asurkov@mozilla.com>; Marco Zehe <marco.zehe@gmail.com>; David Bolter <david.bolter@gmail.com>; Dominic Mazzoni <dmazzoni@google.com>; Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>; Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>; Tess O'Connor <hober@apple.com>; Joanmarie Diggs (jdiggs@igalia.com) <jdiggs@igalia.com>
Subject: Re: CSS in Accessibility Name Computation (Was: a11y-outline available for Firefox)

I am a bit confused because I did not get any response on my previous message. Myabe it was not properly delivered. So here it is again:

I think the standard is actually clear about this: All labels should be included in the name. A labelable element is associated with a label element if:

- the label element has a `for` attribute that matches the control's `id`
- the label element does not have a `for` attribute and the labelable element is the first labelable descendant of that label.

This means that there can be more than one label for a labelable element. These labels should be processed in source order.

Source: https://www.w3.org/TR/html52/sec-forms.html#the-label-element

tobias