RE: Need clarity on listbox, menu, dialog, or something else

Francis,

If you prefer dialog, you can make it non-modal but just not bother with providing a way for keyboard users to move focus outside of the dialog without closing it. There is nothing wrong with that as long as there is no need for that use case. I sometimes call that semi-modal. It is effectively modal for keyboard interaction but not in any other way. Just use the modal dialog pattern but leave the aria-modal property off of the dialog. It would also probably be good if clicking outside of it closes the dialog. But, you don’t have to make the background otherwise inert.

Matt

From: Storr, Francis [mailto:francis.storr@intel.com]
Sent: Friday, February 9, 2018 12:47 PM
To: public-aria@w3.org
Subject: Re: Need clarity on listbox, menu, dialog, or something else

Thanks for the replies. I like the disclosure pattern but was leaning towards the non-modal dialog as I still want to contain the tabbing to within it. I’ve seen screen reader users get disorientated when they’ve not realized they’ve tabbed out of a pop-up. It seems as though there’s still some work to do to iron out the non-modal design pattern (https://github.com/w3c/aria-practices/issues/102), so I’ll go with the disclosure pattern with the enhanced region.

Francis