Re: Regarding selected cells within a static data table

Can I clarify 1 point. Is this intended to allow a user to make a selection or is it only intended to indicate what is selected (as the result of another process)

________________________________
From: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@levelaccess.com>
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2018 8:54:22 AM
To: ARIA Working Group
Subject: Regarding selected cells within a static data table

Hi,
This came up last week, and seems to indicate a missing area in what we have available in either aria-current or aria-selected, but I'm not sure which.

The scenario is a static data table where a series of situations are possible, (1) all cells in a column are highlighted as being selected, (2) all cells in a row are highlighted as being selected, or (3) any number of random cells within the data table are highlighted as being selected.

I was asked if aria-current could be used for this, but this does not actually fit because this only deals with one current item in a collection.

Similarly, the aria-selected attribute won't work because it is not supported on role="cell".

Also, it is invalid to add role="grid" to the construct just to expose aria-selected because this is a static data table and is not an interactive widget.

So, since nothing is available to deal with this, it seems that it should be either handled by aria-current or aria-selected, even though at present it does not.

Would it be agreeable to extend aria-selected to be supported on role="cell"?

Or, would adding a token to aria-current be more agreeable such as aria-current="selected"?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Bryan

Bryan Garaventa
Accessibility Fellow
Level Access, Inc.
Bryan.Garaventa@LevelAccess.com
415.624.2709 (o)
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.LevelAccess.com&data=02%7C01%7Cnurthen%40adobe.com%7Ce29f714872024d1af74a08d5a3b28bda%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636594909603664843&sdata=8%2FBqVyE3E%2FHJNptyujXXWDSXebhXlquWkPekPG9U2BM%3D&reserved=0