From: Aaron Leventhal [mailto:aleventhal@google.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 5, 2017 9:14 AM
To: Schnabel, Stefan <stefan.schnabel@sap.com>; Matt King <a11ythinker@gmail.com>; ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Change in ARIA 1.1 breaks checkbox/radio with embedded field

I've a working example (tested in Firefox + NVDA) -- Chrome stable's name calculation hasn't caught up completely yet.

When the checkbox is focused, the visible text, which includes the field value, is spoken for the name.

When the embedded textfield is focused, the aria-labelledby is spoken for it. This label is tied only to the textfield and is not spoken as part of the checkbox label -- it takes advantage of the rule that aria-labelledby is not recursive.

Aaron

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 9:37 AM Schnabel, Stefan <stefan.schnabel@sap.com <mailto:stefan.schnabel@sap.com> > wrote:

>>> When the checkbox is focused the text field value will be part of the label.

Thanks clarifying this. Is this valid for all platforms that textfield value can serve as a relatable “label”? Would come in handy in best practices…

-          Stefan