Re: Issues with supporting "enter" key for activation of buttons in APG examples

On 2017-01-27 10:59 AM, Steve Faulkner wrote:
> On 27 January 2017 at 15:55, Gunderson, Jon R <jongund@illinois.edu
> <mailto:jongund@illinois.edu>> wrote:
>
>     One example that was raised in the APG teleconference last week,
>     is when someone is in a dialog box, the “enter” key is associated
>     with the close button, so if someone is on a different button in
>     the dialog box and presses “enter”, instead of activating the
>     button action, the activate the close button and close the dialog
>     box.
>

> This sounds like a coding issue rather than a reason to modify a
> standardized interaction pattern for button.
>
> If a control that typically consumes the enter key press (such as a
> button) has focus, then the  key press event should not bubble up to
> the dialog.

I think Jon is describing a scenario where the dialog has a default
button or action.  In this design, the default button reacts to the
"enter" keystroke, regardless of where focus is.  Note that the default
button is rendered in a way that makes it clear that it is the
default*.  If the default action is somehow dangerous, then there should
be a followup dialog along the lines of: "are you sure you want to X?"
allowing the user to cancel the default action, and return to the
original dialog.

* - I'm not sure that all GUI toolkits do a good job communicating the
default button to the accessibility API.

--
;;;;joseph.

'Die Wahrheit ist Irgendwo da Draußen. Wieder.'
                 - C. Carter -