Clarification regarding live regions and hidden elements

From: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@levelaccess.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2017 23:25:27 +0000
To: 'ARIA Working Group' <public-aria@w3.org>
Hi,
Today I was asked whether live regions are allowed on hidden elements, and I thought this was a simple no, but in looking at the spec and testing, it appears people's understanding of this is all over the map.

E.G An element like a div that includes  CSS display:none or visibility:hidden, or the HTML5 hidden attribute, or even aria-hidden="true".

If an element is meant to be explicitly hidden, should it remain an active live region regardless?

Thanks,
Bryan

Bryan Garaventa
Accessibility Fellow