Re: Question about aria-roledescription in the 1.1 spec

Matt,

While I agree this is one viewpoint, other screen readers like JAWS want to convey both. For example, if a listbox and options are represented as a pie with slices they will want to convey that this is a listbox with options in addition to the role description.

Others, like VoiceOver operate the way you suggest. I can see both sides as in the case of the listbox the slices really are roles and not labels and if a teacher is referring to the pizza in the classroom the user will want to know where it is. However, at the same time they want to know that it operates like a listbox with options. Otherwise, they don’t quite know how to operate it.

In other cases, it makes no sense to separate them out. Because of this I would not want to be overly prescriptive in the ARIA spec. as to what screen reader vendors should do. Another option is to speak the role description first and say that it works like a listbox. It is verbose and you would not want to say it all the time. There are different strategies for doing it.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger