Re: The use of aria-readonly on contenteditable elements

For what it's worth, the general HTML rules for interactive content within
an editable element seem rather unclear.

I couldn't find any rules in the HTML spec, but based on browser testing a
button still receives a click event, but a clicked link is not
followed  (same results in Firefox, Chrome, and Edge).  Demo in JSBin:
https://output.jsbin.com/rakakokako

However, you are certainly correct that visual users get all the other
semantic hints (layout, font, size, color) of the markup, regardless of
it's editable state.