Re: [ARIA] Agenda: March 3, 2016 WAI-ARIA Working Group

On 2016-03-02 10:07 PM, Amelia Bellamy-Royds wrote:

> /... That said/, I would like it to be more clear. I think the easiest
> change would be to modify the bullet point (in section 5.1.2 of the
> Core-AAM) that currently says:
>
>       * Elements that have a global WAI-ARIA attribute but do not have
>         aria-hidden="true". (See Excluding Elements in the
>         Accessibility Tree for additional guidance on aria-hidden.)
>
> To instead say
>
>       * Elements that have a global WAI-ARIA attribute but do not have
>         aria-hidden="true" or a mapped role of presentation or none.
>         (See Excluding Elements in the Accessibility Tree for
>         additional guidance on aria-hidden and presentational roles.)

I don't believe that is consistent with the specification of the
presentation role.  Either that, or the specification needs to change.

I filed ISSUE-708 about this in Mar 2015 [1].  There have been
discussions at the AAPI teleconferences, and we have been approaching
agreement on changes to the core-aam inclusion rules. Here's a summary:

1. Using role="presentation" on an element that is interactive is an
author error, and the role will be ignored.  Here, "interactive" means
any of (1) the element is focusable, or (2) can cause an AAPI event
[2].  The reason that presentation is ignored in these cases is that the
presentation role will stop neither a DOM event nor the corresponding
AAPI event from occurring, and the event will have an associated
source/target. That is, there will be an accessible object in the a11y
tree as the target of the event.

The ARIA specification for role="presentation" at least documents the
focusable case:
"If an element with a role of presentation is focusable, user agents
MUST ignore the normal effect of the role and expose the element with
implicit native semantics, in order to ensure that the element is both
understandable and operable" [3].

2. Using role="presentation" in conjunction with a global aria property
is also an author error.  The role says that the element has no meaning,
whereas the aria-* says that it does.   In this case, the ARIA
specification states:
" ...the user agent MUST always expose global WAI-ARIAstates and
properties to accessibility APIs, even if an element has an explicit or
inherited role of presentation" [3].||||||

In summary, the core-aam inclusion rules need changes, but those changes
must be in accordance with the ARIA spec.  If it's necessary that there
are cases where role="presentation" *always* excludes an element from
the accessibility tree, then the ARIA specification *itself* must be
modified.

[1] https://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/issues/708
[2]
http://w3c.github.io/aria/core-aam/core-aam.html#mapping_events_state-change
[3] http://w3c.github.io/aria/aria/aria.html#presentation

--
;;;;joseph.

'Die Wahrheit ist Irgendwo da Draußen. Wieder.'
                  - C. Carter -