Re: [REVIEW REQUESTED] Rewrite of the text role

One more comment on the name:

If the argument for keeping this feature in ARIA 1.1 is that it is already
in use in the wild, doesn't changing the name break existing sites &
implementations?  Should "text" at least be added back in as a deprecated
synonym for the new role?

On the role itself:

I do think this role is useful.  Non-text elements representing text logos
& calligraphy is a common use case in SVG, but it is not SVG-specific.  As
much as we encourage people to use real text content for text, there are
many types of graphical text for which that isn't an option.  If it hadn't
already been in ARIA 1.1, I would probably have recommended a graphics-text
role for the ARIA Graphics module.

The img role is functional but not perfect.  "Image: rainbow" is very
different from "Text: rainbow"; the first I would assume to be an image *of*
a rainbow, not an image of the word "rainbow".  Similarly, the image role
forces you to either lose all document structure (putting the entire alt
text on a single element with the img role) or create a monstrosity like
"Image: 50%. Image: Off. Image: Sale. Image: Now though Sunday."

However, I recognize that it is also confusing, as far as functionality,
for screen reader users to not be able to tell the difference between real
text and text-as-graphic. Maybe this could be best addressed by ATs being
slightly less transparent about the object in verbose or spell-out mode,
announcing elements as "graphical text" or "decorative text", while still
reading it as plain text in less verbose modes.