Re: text role removal

> On Jun 23, 2016, at 1:54 PM, Matt King <a11ythinker@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As I recall, the fundamental objections were related to both the utility and
> the risks of the role. In all the use cases that were presented, all the
> screen reader users in the working group were in agreement that the text
> role did not provide better accessibility than the image role. In every use
> case we examined, either the text role was hiding something that was useful
> or the image role was as good or even better fit.

Since the text role has been implemented in a few browsers for a couple years, people are already using this on a number of sites, including some big ones like the iTunes Media Stores.

A few of the other uses you may not have considered:

Ratings are done this way so that the text "★★★☆☆" can be spoken as "3 of 5 stars" rather than the unicode literals "black star, black star, black star, white star, white star"... The markup is something like <span role="text" aria-label="3 of 5 stars">★★★☆☆</span>

You can test these examples in any recent version of Safari or Chrome. Both have shipped the text role since 2014.

> There were also questions surrounding what should happen with selection for
> copy and paste and how AT could access appropriate context actions.

Those related-but-separate issues were discussed in the 2014 Face-to-Face and were determined to be puntable to ARIA 2.0.