From: Fred Esch [mailto:fesch@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2016 11:39 AM
To: Marco Zehe <mzehe@mozilla.com>
Cc: Accessible Rich Internet Applications Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Nested links (not related to children presentational issue in ARIA 1.1)

Hi Marco,

The question is should nested links be allowed in SVG? Here is a link to the git issue <https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/issues/26> . If not, why? Do AT have problems with it?...

Regards,

Fred Esch
Watson, IBM, W3C Accessibility

Watson Release Management and Quality

Marco Zehe ---06/23/2016 10:52:43 AM---I did a quick test with the example given, and none of the 3 browsers I tested (Firefox, Chrome, IE

From: Marco Zehe <mzehe@mozilla.com <mailto:mzehe@mozilla.com> >
To: Birkir Gunnarsson <birkir.gunnarsson@deque.com <mailto:birkir.gunnarsson@deque.com> >
Cc: Shane McCarron <shane@spec-ops.io <mailto:shane@spec-ops.io> >, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org <mailto:cooper@w3.org> >, Richard Schwerdtfeger <richschwer@gmail.com <mailto:richschwer@gmail.com> >, Fred Esch/Arlington/IBM@IBMUS, ARIA <public-aria@w3.org <mailto:public-aria@w3.org> >
Date: 06/23/2016 10:52 AM

  _____

I did a quick test with the example given, and none of the 3 browsers I tested (Firefox, Chrome, IE 11) actually nest the links. They simply consider the two links separate entities at the same level, considering the second opening a tag the closure of the previous, and ignoring the final closing one. There are two accessible objects, and they are not nested.

So in my opinion, there is no indication that browsers, at least on Windows, support nested links, they just make one believe so by accounting for such obvious author error. So I don't see why we should allow or even vote for nested links. As was put forward by Shane, nestee links even violate the HTML 5.1 specification. So nothing to duplicate, other than the parser accounting for the same nesting error and separating them out into separate links at the same level.

Marco

Agreed, this constitutes a WCAG 4.1.1 violation for HTML:

“elements are nested according to their specifications”

The HTML Nu Validator  <https://validator.w3.org/nu/> https://validator.w3.org/nu/

returns 2 errors for a nested link construct.

</a>

“Error: Start tag a seen but an element of the same type was already open.”

And

Error: Stray end tag a.