Re: Regarding children presentational in prep: Agenda: June 23, 2016 WAI-ARIA Working Group

It depends where authors put the ARIA roles.
Taking the example of a tree item (I think we can insert any of the others).

If role="treeitem" is put on the <li> tags directly, then this is a problem.
But what if role="treeitem" is put on an element inside the <li>
element, and the <li> element is marked as presentational?
That way the element with role="treeitem" does not own anything.

Compare:
<ul role="tree">
<li role="treeitem">item 1</li>
<li id="item2" role="treeitem" aria-expanded="false">item 2
<ul role="group" aria-labelledby="item2"> <!-- owned by tree item 2 -->
<li role="treeitem">Sub item 1</li>
</ul> <!-- end of owned stuff ->
</li>
</ul>

and

<ul role="tree">
<li role="presentation"><span id="item2" role="treeitem"
aria-expanded="false">Tree item 2</span>
<ul role="group" aria-labelledby="item2"> <!-- not owned by treeitem 2 -->
</ul>
</li>
</ul>
Is my understanding correct here, that this implementation allows
children of treeitem to be presentational while still using the list
structure as the basis for the tree?
Granted, this may not solve the problem, at least not the problem of
backwards compatibility, but I believe it is an implementation that
does not conflict with presentational children of treeitems.

--
Birkir Gunnarsson, CPACC
Senior Accessibility Subject Matter Expert | Deque Systems

Ph: (919) 607-27 53
Twitter: @birkir_gun