RE: Risks the password role does create

From: John Foliot [mailto:john.foliot@deque.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 4:00 PM

I think that you may have an idea there, although after spending a bit more time with this, I'm now freaked to report how truly insecure type=password is as well.

3 minutes on Google, and a few minor edits to an existing example I found illustrates how woefully insecure that input type actually is: a single line of javascript can extract the obfuscated characters from *any* input and echo them back into a second form input as clear text. Make that input hidden using aria-hidden=true, and I can watch Jason enter all of his passwords without him even being aware that I can see the values on screen.
[Jason] You could even extend the exploit to generate a QR code in SVG that your mobile device could capture by taking an image of the screen (and leave out the SVG title and desc elements). None of this requires the compromised password data to be transmitted over the network, although of course for most practical purposes, attackers are likely to use the network to log the information imperceptibly to the victim.

Thank you for your compliance.