Re: Breadcrumb design pattern

Is it always appropriate for breadcrumbs to be a navigation landmark?
Might it not depend on the site/page and the other navigational
sections it contains? I'd say it's a judgment call for the author
whether the breadcrumbs represent a section of "major navigation
blocks". Yes, that is a note from the definition of <nav>, but given
that <nav> maps to a navigation landmark, there's a certain
equivalence. It's how I decide whether or not a navigation block
deserves the <nav> element: Is it so major a navigation block that it
deserves to be a landmark? I think that landmarks tend to get overused
and thus lose their effectiveness: how useful is a landmark in a sea
of landmarks?

I often recommend against breadcrumbs being a navigation landmark if
there are a number of other navigational landmarks, e.g. main menu,
section menu, fat footer menu with more than the typical links to
copyright, privacy, etc., and especially if these exist among a whole
bunch of other landmarks.

Maybe it's worth noting something along these lines in the authoring practice?

Jason