Re: Rationale for aria-errormessage

Hello Rich,
I do not see any conflict and nothing that is "fairly obvious".
In my comment above, I did note this is a special case of
aria-describedby and  that "Developers / testers need to be better
trained in use of aria-describedby for error messaging". That means
knowing how to append another id-reference  to aria-describedby. Only
in circumstances the(generally rare) it may be reasonable to retain
only the reference to the error message text.
The key point is that aria-describedby is now supported by UA/AT so it
is up to content developers to use it properly. Introducing another
attribute will not shift any responsibility off content developers. In
fact they need to understand when to use which attribute. In addition,
now of course AT makers will be required to build a hook for this new
attribute. I wonder if they will assign it a high priority to this.
And will it be wrong if one continues to use aria-describedby for
error messaging? Will it fail WCAG2?
PS: Good to know I am not the first one to  wonder about the purpose
of this attribute. In fact I raised a Github issue in Dec 2015
(Aria-errormessages property: what void does it fill? ) but did not
see any substantial explanations to  my question at that time too.
Best wishes,
Sailesh