Re: Significant ambiguities in aria-roledescription

> On Jul 7, 2016, at 8:33 AM, White, Jason J <jjwhite@ets.org> wrote:
>

>   <>

What we expose is important. The accessibility tree will not change because of a role description and we would not want it to. We need to have the AT be able to go back to the underlying role  type and structure so that they know how to operate with it. We can address this in the accessibility api mappings.

The role description is nothing more than a localized role type that may be spoken by the ATs. When I was working with Freedom Scientific on role description earlier they were not crazy about but certainly in areas like education it is critical so that the student and teacher can be talking about the same thing. e.g. a list and listems could be pizza and slices. They still need to know that it is a list.

At the end of the day we can’t possibly, with any consistency, use the role description to alter the accessibility tree. It is a localized string and frankly could be anything the author wants.

Rich