RE: [REVIEW REQUESTED] Rewrite of the text role

From: Richard Schwerdtfeger [mailto:richschwer@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2016 12:12 PM

I agree it is a temporary solution. However, if we can’t get the group to agree on the new role it may be needed as a technique. At this point my issues with the new role have been addressed.
[Jason] I agree that it’s likely a temporary solution. Also, I left the meeting early due to an appointment with colleagues.
Was it determined whether the spec needs to be clarified to state that supplying a null string is distinct from omitting the aria-roledescription attribute?
Also, a concern was raised at the meeting (by Matt, as I recall) that aria-roledescription could be used to conceal valuable information about the underlying role from the assistive technology and therefore from the user. On platforms that allow it, this concern could be addressed by forwarding both the role and the aria-roledescription property to the assistive technology, where the latter is presented to the user as the human-readable version of the role name, but the AT could still (if the implementors so choose) provide a mechanism by which the user can query the underlying role information.
I also support the suggestion that it should be possible to provide additional hints to screen readers regarding how to present information. As this is an ARIA 2.0 concern, I’ll leave the details of these requirements to a later discussion.

Thank you for your compliance.