From: Birkir Gunnarsson [mailto:birkir.gunnarsson@deque.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2016 5:50 PM
To: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Why does the button role have children presentational="true"?

Greetings all
Thanks Steve for your explanation.
So "children presentational" is the equivalent of putting role="presentation" on elements inside the widgets?
I find the text from the spec definition of children presentational confusing.
"The DOM descendants are presentational. User agents SHOULD NOT expose descendants of this element through the platform accessibility API."
My understanding of this paragraph is that the descendants (including their contents) should be hidden from assistive technologies.

I would like to change the wording of this definition in the ARIA 1.1 spec to explain that the semantics of the descendant element should be hidden, the equivalent of putting role="presentation" or "none" on the descendant elements. However, their content should be exposed to assistive technologies according to the accessible name algorithm.

Thanks