Re: Expanding the scope of aria-modal

On 2016-02-17 2:04 PM, Matt King wrote:

> 2)Don’t you think that would create mass author confusion if
> aria-modal was define very differently from how the rest of the UI
> world uses the term modal?

FWIW, dojo toolitp dialogs are an example of a popup dialog that traps
the keyboard focus, where TAB keystrokes cycle within the dialog.
However,  tooltip dialogs are not truly modal because if the user clicks
outside of the dialog, then the dialog is closed.  A true modal dialog
would beep in the case of outside clicks, and require the user to
dismiss the dialog by choosing OK, Cancel, Close, or ESC.

Dojo uses role="alertdialog" here.  The spec for alertdialog suggest
that authors SHOULD implement them as modal.  Dojo tooltip dialogs are
"modal" with respect to the keyboard, but are not mouse-modal.

Also, part of the reason for using alertdialog is to cause an system
alert event when the dialog pops open.

Here is the test page for dojo's tooltip dialog.  I don't vouch for its
accessibility.  I might be accessible; it might not be:

http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/dojotoolkit/dijit/tests/test_TooltipDialog.html

--
;;;;joseph.

'Die Wahrheit ist Irgendwo da Draußen. Wieder.'
                  - C. Carter -