RE: Why is aria-expanded invalid with a checkbox?

Actually I have punctuation set to 'none' using JAWS because I don't see the point of hearing every form of punctuation in everything I read, so an ... literally makes no sound at all :)

This is the danger of relying on punctuation to convey meaning.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Scheuhammer [mailto:clown@alum.mit.edu]
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2016 7:56 AM
To: Matt King <a11ythinker@gmail.com>; 'Richard Schwerdtfeger' <richschwer@gmail.com>
Cc: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com>; 'Stefan Schnabel' <stefan.schnabel@sap.com>; 'Birkir Gunnarsson' <birkir.gunnarsson@deque.com>; 'James Nurthen' <james.nurthen@oracle.com>; public-aria@w3.org
Subject: Re: Why is aria-expanded invalid with a checkbox?

On 2016-02-03 8:54 PM, Matt King wrote:
> And, I would place a large bet that such a user has no idea that "..." means that a dialog will open.

The use of ellipsis has been a part of user interface guidelines for decades.  Here are links from Apple and Microsoft:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn742392.aspx#usingellipses

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/mac/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/TerminologyWording.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000957-CH15-SW3

--
;;;;joseph.

'Die Wahrheit ist Irgendwo da Draußen. Wieder.'
                  - C. Carter -