RE: Question about ARIA 1.1 haspopup attribute

Stefan wrote:

>Does this mean we have a two-class society regarding ARIA attributes,

>such like aria-checked where it is "expected" that AT renders info

>and such like aria-haspopup where this is in the mercy of AT to render
info?

>I mean we should develop a common understanding here what is a "must" and
what is a "may".

>Not only on the API level (as it happens in the ARIA core specs) but also
for AT.

Stefan, that is a good choice of words, "expected". I would say that we have
assistive technology expectations of some kind for all attributes, including
haspopup, but there is no such thing as an ARIA compliant assistive
technology. That, as you know, is a long-standing working group decision
about the scope of the ARIA specification. Of course, it is a decision that
was made and revisited at specific points in time and made for very
practical reasons that considered the landscape at those times. Whether or
not there has been sufficient change in the landscape to justify
reconsideration is a very good question.

>I understand that you cannot force AT people to support things but on
consultation level

>I feel a bit fooled telling a developer supplying a property just MAY work

>- know what I mean?

Yesk, very, very well.

This is one reason Rich has been working hard to get more participation from
assistive technology developers. But, it is very difficult for them to
balance effective participation in web standards and requirements with the
rest of their business.

We believe we will have more AT developer participation in 2017.

>This has also implications for QA processes,

>what should I tell an accessibility tester?

>"Oh >yes we are supplying property x but AT just ignores it or interprets
it differently"

>- my everyday reality but unacceptable in the long run.

Yes, unacceptable in the long run.

BTW, normative requirements for AT are not the only feasible approach to
changing this reality. To start with, we have not even had authoritative
reference implementations of ARIA that can be used by assistive technology
developers. That is a huge, I believe primary, reason for the massive
inconsistency. And, that is why I am so heavily invested in filling the gap
with the authoring practices guide.

Matt

Many thanks for fast reply. I'd like to ask one more thing:

>>> there are no requirements for assistive technologies to render
information about aria-haspopup

Does this mean we have a two-class society regarding ARIA attributes, such
like aria-checked where it is "expected" that AT renders info and such like
aria-haspopup where this is in the mercy of AT to render info? I mean we
should develop a common understanding here what is a "must" and what is a
"may".

Not only on the API level (as it happens in the ARIA core specs) but also
for AT. An overview table with musts and mays would help here.

I understand that you cannot force AT people to support things but on
consultation level I feel a bit fooled telling a developer supplying a
property just MAY work - know what I mean? This has also implications for QA
processes, what should I tell an accessibility tester? "Oh yes we are
supplying property x but AT just ignores it or interprets it differently" -
my everyday reality but unacceptable in the long run.

Regards

Stefan