Re: HTML-AAM

On 30/08/2016 14:20, Rich Schwerdtfeger wrote:
> At the last meeting we agreed to look at taking this out for a CFC
> (HTML-AAM) ownership. A number of us, like myself, did not have an issue
> with this as we have always had a stellar working relationship with the
> HTML-AAM team in Web Platforms. Furthermore, I think there is value in
> host platforms taking greater responsibility for the accessibility of
> their platform.

Thanks Rich.

> That said, there were a some who had 2 questions which warrant a
> response that I cannot give them.
>
> 1. What is the tremendous overhead you are referring to? It takes about
> 2-3 weeks to get sign off on other specs. we have. … IOW it gets signed
> off by both working groups.

  Things are simpler when there is one parent WG. The work is done,
issues are discussed, consensus is sought, and objections are handled in
one place.

Trying to do one thing in two places, especially where the two WGs have
different work modes (as we do), often means that work is held up by one
WG or another.

IPR is less painful with one parent WG. It complicates things when an
organisation has to consider IPR for a WG that has joint deliverables
with another WG.

For these and other reasons, the WebPlat chairs have a strong preference
not to work on joint deliverables.

Per the initial Github discussion [1], we are happy to become the parent
WG and for ARIA WG to be named in our charter as an expected liaison.
The proposed work mode would be to invite ARIA WG to provide feedback as
the HTML AAM prepares to transition to CR (per the established wide
review process), or more regularly if the ARIA WG would like.

We would also be happy for the ARIA WG to become the parent WG for the
HTML AAM, and for WebPlat to provide feedback as part of the wide review
process.

 > 2. In the past we have seen things go out for review for a week which is
 > not an adequate amount of time to review a spec. Given that there is a
 > reliance on the ARIA spec. what is the review process you will put in
 > place for external groups if we were to switch from joint publication to
 > it solely being a deliverable of Web Platforms?

We've already acknowledged that a week is insufficient time [2]. We
asked in the initial discussion [3], and again on the ARIA call last
week [4], how much time would work for you?

Léonie.
[1] https://github.com/w3c/charter-html/issues/133
[2] https://github.com/w3c/charter-html/issues/133#issuecomment-242171664
[3] https://github.com/w3c/charter-html/issues/133#issuecomment-242171436