RE: Breadcrumb design pattern

I feel like role=navigation with aria-label=breadcrumb is adequate.

If we go down the path of classifying different types of navigation elements with roles instead of labeling them, we could end up with role explosion, which can make things more difficult for users. However, if we were aware of the need for a set of assistive technology functions unique to breadcrumbs, I would advocate for a breadcrumb role. I do not have any knowledge of a need for assistive tehcnologies to treat breadcrumbs differently from other navigation elements.

Matt

From: Rich Schwerdtfeger [mailto:richschwer@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, August 8, 2016 11:51 AM
To: Michiel Bijl <michiel@agosto.nl>
Cc: Stefan Schnabel <stefan.schnabel@sap.com>; Jason Kiss <jason@accessibleculture.org>; Birkir Gunnarsson <birkir.gunnarsson@deque.com>; Matt King <mck@fb.com>; ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Breadcrumb design pattern

Placing roles in a label is hack and it becomes very brittle over time. If you want a breadcrumb role you should add one to ARIA 2.0. It should require things like aria-current. Also, having a range experience or posinset and set size to determine where you are in the list is important.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger