RE: Password role proposal: Freedom Scientific response

From: Léonie Watson [mailto:tink@tink.uk]
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2016 3:32 PM

That’s more or less what’s happening I think. The feature has been marked as at risk/under review in the spec, pending implementations and the Security IG review.

It does raise a question about the ARIA exit criteria though. By the looks of things, the ARIA 1.0 exit criteria [1] only required interoperability at the accessibility API/browser level, not at the AT/screen reader level.

I’ve been thinking about this issue and I agree that it needs careful attention. In this case, we make strong recommendations about correct implementation on the part of the AT, any departure from which should take into account the motivating security considerations that underlie the statements in the specification.

I think the exit criteria need to be carefully considered (here and in certain other instances of new features introduced into ARIA 1.1).

Thank you for your compliance.