RE: Another point of view on passwords

From: Rich Schwerdtfeger [mailto:richschwer@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2016 3:19 PM

I am not endorsing it either, however, the article has a lot of merit. I have seen sites that mask the characters and show the actual character you typed elsewhere on the page.

If we want to truly secure access to sites we need a better mechanism than password.

Indeed we do. Two-factor authentication helps, as in requiring the user to enter a code sent as a text message to a mobile device. Some two-factor authentication devices are purely visual in nature and thus raise accessibility concerns. Biometrics are useful, but they raise interesting issues that will need to be addressed: what happens when, due to a disability, a person can’t supply the biometric data requested? The solution would seem to be to offer multiple options for biometric identification.

When biometrics become a topic of standardization, we’ll need to participate in the process.

Thank you for your compliance.