Re: Slicing and dicing password role discussion

All,

Michael wrote:

> To me, the best choice seems we should negotiate an exception to the
principle that ARIA does not impact UI, and say that because of its
security implications, user agents need to do input masking on the password
role, not just tell the AT about it.

Given that there *are* security concerns here, it strikes me that at a
minimum we reach out to the Web App Security Working Group for some
feedback/input (https://www.w3.org/Security/) as was previously suggested
by Wendy Seltzer.

I have also reached out personally to both Google and Mozilla folks who
might have a stake in this discussion, asking them for their initial
thoughts on this topic. My Google contact has confirmed forwarding the
thread on to their internal security people at Chrome. Standing by for more.

Getting support from all of the screen readers seems reasonable if not
difficult, but I suspect that if we were to get support from the browser
vendors that it may make things even easier, and I for one don't want to
give up on that possibility without at least trying.

JF

--
John Foliot
Principal Accessibility Consultant