RE: 5-Day CfC: Accept draft charter in 2018-10-26 form

+1

-----Original Message-----
From: Joanmarie Diggs <jdiggs@igalia.com>
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2018 2:23 PM
To: ARIA Admin <public-aria-admin@w3.org>
Subject: 5-Day CfC: Accept draft charter in 2018-10-26 form

This is a Call for Consensus (CfC) to the ARIA Working Group on the question of accepting the revised draft charter (as written on 2018-10-26). That revision can be found at https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/charter/charter/index.html.

Background

The ARIA Working Group's proposed charter, found at https://www.w3.org/2018/03/draft-aria-charter, was presented to the Advisory Committee for review and approval in July. The results of that review were:

* 35: supports this Charter as is
* 1: abstains from this review
* 2: suggests changes to this Charter, and only supports the proposal if
  the changes are adopted [Formal Objection]

We subsequently worked with the W3C management and the two organizations suggesting changes in an attempt to resolve the concerns raised, the bulk of which were related to the Success Criteria section of our proposed charter. The result of that work is the rewritten success criteria statement found here:
https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/charter/charter/index.html#success-criteria.

This rewritten statement was reviewed by the members of the ARIA Working Group present at today's TPAC meeting (minutes:
https://www.w3.org/2018/10/26-aria-minutes.html#item04). The resolution (found here:
https://www.w3.org/2018/10/26-aria-minutes.html#resolution02) is to "Accept draft charter in 2018-10-26 form, send CfC to confirm during AC final check".

For convenience, here is the new success criteria statement:

    For the ARIA specifications, implementability and interoperability
    of every feature will be demonstrated by having at least two
    independent browser implementations of that feature. In addition,
    for the Accessibility API Mapping specification(s), each ARIA
    feature will be shown to have at least one implementation in each
    of: ATK/AT-SPI2, MSAA+IAccessible2, AXAPI, and UIAutomation.

    Every effort will be made to take member organizations' schedules
    into account and to ensure all platforms are included. If needed,
    an Accessibility API Mapping specification will be split into
    platform-specific specifications, e.g. one for ATK/AT-SPI2, one for
    MSAA+IAccessible2, one for AXAPI, and one for UIAutomation. This
    will allow each platform's specification to progress along the Rec
    track at the timeline that best suits them. For specifications which
    are not split apart in this fashion, no platform will be dropped out
    of the specification without prior consultation with that platform's
    owners.

We believe that this new language ensures that we do not relax the requirements the W3C and its member organizations expect of Working Groups, that we do include all platforms in our specifications, and that we can still progress along the Rec track in a relatively timely fashion. We hope that the members of the Advisory Committee will agree.
In the meantime, as per the resolution from today's meeting, we would like your input on this CfC.

Action

This CfC is now open for objection, comment, as well as statements of35 support via email. Silence will be interpreted as support, though messages of support are certainly welcome.

If you object to this proposal, or have comments concerning it, please respond by replying on list to this message no later than 17:00 Boston Time, Friday, 2 November 2018.

For objections only, please copy the main public-aria@w3.org list to allow technical discussion of the objection to happen there.

Process

This CfC is conducted per the ARIA WG decision policy:
https://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/decision-policy