Re: 7 Day Call for Consensus March 17, 2016 ARIA Working Group Resolutions

Hi Rich,

​
 Do you mean obscuring text when author claims it is a custom password
field?

Yes, that would be the ideal solution as far as I can see - that any time a
widget claims to be a password widget, that it operates exactly like
previous password inputs have behaved over the past 20+ years. My question
is, have we even bothered to ask the browser vendors if this is possible?
Like you, I don't hold out great hope for that, but it *IS* worth the time
to ask. Getting 4 out of 5 browser vendors to agree seems far easier than
getting 16 out of 20 screen reader vendors to agree, right? (Using the 80%
rule as a starting point)

​
What I am concerned about and not a single person complaining has failed to
address is text fields which are password fields but which the ATs always
echo the characters typed which creates a security hole.

And again, it comes down to this: a text entry field that claims to be a
password entry field in name alone, but without *ALL* the expected
behaviour that password inputs have traditionally delivered to date, really
isn't a password input, is it? (Or in other words, I can paint a racing
stripe on my car and call it a Formula 1 race car, but both you and I will
know that it's really still just a Honda Civic, no matter what I call it.)

Creating an ARIA role that purportes to identify password inputs to
non-sighted users who cannot visually verify that fact, an ARIA role
without the actual ability to enforce expected outcomes, is in my mind a
recipe for disaster and a far more serious problem that faux password
inputs that echo back characters when the user types them in - that appears
to be a problem the end user can deal with already, as Matt KIng has
previously noted: "Note that without the password role, *the user is in
control*. All screen readers have a key for turning off key echo. So, no
password role is the safer course if we can not resolve the conflict." -
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-aria-admin/2016Mar/0035.html

No. I and others have heard this concern. But as Leonie has noted, you seem
to be trading one security issue for another here: "It changes the security
risk, it doesn't narrow it down. If anything the uncertainty factor makes
it a much more serious problem." -
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-aria-admin/2016Apr/0014.html.

Never-the-less, the proposal being brought forward is that we attempt to
get changes into 2, 3, maybe 4 Screen Readers to address this problem by
using Joanie's suggestion, to not worry about any other screen reader at
this time so that we can ship ARIA 1.1, and then, what? Buyer Beware? It
works with Orca and Narrator, but not Voiceover or Talkback, but hey, close
enough to ship ARIA 1.1? Surely Rich this isn't what we are proposing is
it? I see that as keeping ARIA 1.1 on track, but how does it close the
security hole you yourself have expressed concern over?

I don't think anyone who has participated on this thread doesn't understand
the concern you are attempting to resolve. I have already stated that I
think Joanie's proposal has merit, but by shifting a "security"
concern/solution from the half-dozen or so browsers to the much longer list
of Assistive Technology solutions in the marketplace, you've (we've?) also
added multiple potential failure points across each AT. Without broad
commitment from those AT Vendors, it's just another good idea. Multiple
times it has also been suggested that we approach the Security folk at the
W3C (Leonie, Chaals, Wendy, myself have all made this suggestion) to get
their feedback and opinions, yet I've not seen any action or attempt to do
that (and yes, if you want to assign that action item to me I'll write the
email this week and try and kick things off there).

The bottom line here Rich is that we all see the potential security
problems from all of the different vantage points. But a hasty
lick-and-a-promise "sorta" solution is not really a solution at all. I
appreciate the desire to get ARIA 1.1 out the door in a timely fashion, but
I also reject doing so by implementing half-baked security fixes that only
a few screen readers *MAY* support. If it's worth fixing, it's also worth
getting right. I fear that the current proposed plan falls significantly
short of that at this time.

JF